Art & Play Therapy/ Counseling
Art and play therapy are a form of expressive counseling. It is a different and interesting type of psychotherapy. Art / play therapy is best used with children who went through serious psychological suffering and traumas. It can be used for children and adults.
- One does not need to be a professional artist to do art/play therapy; anyone can use art and drawing therapy. It is a technique to foster healing and mental well-being.
- It can be applied as a creative process of using art to improve a person’s physical, mental, and emotional health and well-being. Art and play therapy are based on theories of personality, human growth and developments, psychology, family systems, and art education.
- It is used for individuals who often are suffering from stress and mental illness, and for those who tend to have hard times in expressing themselves verbally, but can do it easily through drawings and other artworks.
- Art materials such as colors, chalks, pencils, clays, markers and shapes are used as a significant technique in assessments and treatments.
- Art therapy can speed recovery, increase coping skills, and enhance cognitive function.
- Art Therapy encourages people to express secrets and emotions, memories and behaviors which are difficult to address in a method, but can do it easily in an artistic expression and through art creative process.
- At AMFT we use play and art therapy to incorporate non direct and creative methods of expression of thoughts and emotions, through visual art.
- Art and play therapy are very interesting types of psychotherapy as well as a creative side of individuals.
- Art / play therapy can be looked at as an expression of oneself artistically, and can help people resolve painful emotions and memories.
- Art and play therapy can help one develops and manages the individual’s behaviors and feelings, promote personal development, reduce stress, increase awareness of self and others, and improve self-esteem